Inpatient Licensed Practical Nurse - LPN - Dialysis
Location: Port Saint Lucie
Posted on: November 20, 2023
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functions as part of the hemodialysis health
care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for
assigned patients in accordance with FMCNA policies, procedures,
and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the
corporation, state, and federal agencies.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
- Provides patient care under the direct supervision of
Hemodialysis Registered Nurse for assigned patient(s) in the acute
setting excluding Intensive Care Units as permitted by state
- Performs all technical aspects of dialysis procedures for
assigned patients as prescribed to administer and monitor
treatments in accordance with current treatment plan under the
direction of the Hemodialysis RN. Responsible for reporting and
documenting all new and unusual incidences, information,
complaints, or problems to the RN.
- Provides treatments for assigned patients as assigned to
promote and assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working
environment. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality
Enhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and Performance
Improvement (QAI) Activities; including those related to patient
satisfaction and actively participates in process improvement
activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve
the FMCNA Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
- With documented competency and proficiency, the LPN/LVN may set
up and prime equipment as directed by the Hemodialysis RN for renal
replacement therapies (hemodialysis, continuous renal replacement,
and peritoneal dialysis therapies).
- Evaluates vascular access for patency; obtains necessary pre
and post treatment vital signs and weight; performs vascular access
cannulation as defined by the state and reports any difficulties or
unusual findings to the Hemodialysis RN.
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related
to the patient treatment. This information is documented
appropriately in the individual patient record to include the
hospital Electronic Medical System (EMS) and the Acute Care
Electronic System (ACES).
- Responsible for reporting any significant information, change
in patient condition, or equipment problems to the Hemodialysis
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are being
used for every treatment.
- Records accurate and timely information regarding vital signs
and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment recorded
in the EMS and ACES.
- Initiates renal replacement treatment according to prescribed
orders including setting blood flow rate (QB) and dialysate flow
- Collects, labels specimens and ensures timely delivery of
laboratory per facility policy.
- Identifies intradialytic problems and provides intervention as
prescribed by physician's order or as directed by Hemodialysis
- Performs and documents any interventions for the patient,
documents patients' response to intervention, and reports any
changes or unusual findings to the Hemodialysis RN.
- Evaluates patient's vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provides appropriate
intervention as needed, documents, discontinues dialysis treatment
according to established procedures and reports any unusual
findings to the Hemodialysis RN.
- Evaluates patient prior to termination of venous access -
obtains blood pressure prior to termination of venous access;
obtains hemostasis and applies appropriate dressings; evaluates the
patient prior to discharge and reports any unusual findings to the
- Performs pre and post dialysis evaluation, weight and vital
signs with initial identification and reports findings to RN for
documentation and any necessary follow up.
- Initiates basic CPR measures in the event of cardiac and/or
pulmonary arrest and respond to emergency situations related to
dialysis treatment. Responsible for re-enforcing education the
patients received by the RN.Technical:
- Safely operates dialysis related equipment according to the
- Provides trouble shooting when necessary.
- Ensures a clean, safe and sanitary environment in the dialysis
facility treatment area.
- Ensures blood spills are immediately addressed according to
FMCNA Bloodborne Pathogen Control Policies.
- Operates all emergency equipment effectively and efficiently in
accordance to the standard operation procedures.Staff Related:
- Participates in staff meetings as scheduled.
- Participates in staff training and orientation of new employees
- Acquires information and knowledge in current practice related
to dialysis principals and technique by participating in scheduled
- Performs additional duties as assigned by Program
Manager.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
- This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing
and the employee must be able to bend over.
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly
involves heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assisting with
ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
The employee may occasionally be required to move, with assistance,
machines and equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and
water solutions of up to 30 lbs.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care
facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
May be exposed to infectious and contagious
- The position requires travel between assigned locations and
various locations within the community.
- Travel to meetings may be required.SUPERVISION:
- Current appropriate state licensure.EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED
- Minimum of one year medical-surgical nursing experience. Six
months of hemodialysis experience preferred but not required.
- Successful completion of a training course in theory and
practice of hemodialysis.
- Successful completion of CPR Certification.
- Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Certification preferred or
obtained within first year of employment.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test for Color - Blindness does not preclude employment. The
Company will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be
- Effective communication skills - both verbal and written.EO/AA
Orientation/Gender IdentityFresenius Medical Care North America
maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable
federal and state laws.
Keywords: FRESENIUS, Port St. Lucie , Inpatient Licensed Practical Nurse - LPN - Dialysis, Healthcare , Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!